Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Menu Planning for Great Lent

Hello!  I've started to blog since I've been working on my menu planning for Great Lent and hope it might be helpful to others.  First I made a list of my favorite Lenten recipes (some new things I want to try but mostly tried and true).  I put together my meal planning today for Lent and realized I could have a different meal nearly everyday!  So, here is the list I came up with:
  • Veggie Chili
  • Mjaddrah
  • Garlicky Spaghetti and Beans
  • Artichoke Pasta Salad
  • Ratatouille
  • Red Potato Salad (with scallions and dill)
  • Multi-Grain Salad
  • Beans and Rice
  • Mashed Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy
  • Vinegret Salad
  • Shredded Beet Salad (with walnuts)
  • Vareneky
  • Cucumber-Tomato Salad
  • Avocado Salad
  • Tofu Alfredo with Pasta and Veggies
  • Pesto Lentils and Potatoes
  • Mushroom Bourguignon
  • Curries:
    • Lentil
    • Chickpea
    • Veggie
    • Shrimp
  • Roasted Veggies:
    • Brussels Sprouts
    • Carrots
    • Beets
    • Squash
    • Asparagus
    • Potatoes, etc., etc.
  • Soups:
    • Coconut Milk Clam Chowder
    • Split Pea Soup (with African Smokey Spice mix from Trader Joe's)
    • Lentil Soup
    • Black Bean Soup (traditional)
    • Quick Black Bean Soup (with corn and coconut milk)
    • Sweet Potato Soup
This only counts one meal per day since breakfast is usually cereal or oatmeal with almond or coconut milk and the other meal (lunch or dinner) will be leftovers or some basics like hummus, eggplant caviar, etc.  

Let me know some of your favorite Lenten dishes!  I'd love to learn some more!  If anyone would like the recipes to any of the above, let me know.


PS.  This blog will mostly be about my cooking, but will, of course, include photos of my favorite baby, my 7-month daughter Elizabeth.  Here she is at our parish's Blini Festival last Sunday.

2 comments:

Martha said...

I look forward to reading and using your recipes!!! ♥ And of course, seeing pictures of Liza!

Mary said...

Thanks, Martha! I knew I could count on you for a comment :)