Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

First Day of Lent and My Birthday!

Today is my 34th birthday!  I'm not celebrating it much since it's the first day of Lent.  Andrey woke up early to go to services this morning and gave me my present before he left...


Sorry, it's not a great photo.  It is an enameled Pascha egg with St. George!  At church yesterday morning, I saw these eggs for sale (there were 3 or 4 of them) and mentioned them to Andrey.  I think it is perfect for this upcoming Pascha with St. George's day on Bright Monday!  At Forgiveness Vespers later that day, I saw they had all been sold.  On the car ride home, I told Andrey we missed out!  I had no idea he'd bought one!  It was a very nice surprise!


As far as meal planning, for today and tomorrow we'll just try to eat fruit and nuts.  I'll make an oil-free soup later on this week.  The more fun Lenten cooking will come after this week.  Andrey has promised to make a birthday cake this Saturday for me (and his mother who shares a birthday!).  We stocked up on nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit, and LÄRABARs at Costco last week.  Hopefully enough for the entire Lent.  We bought a big bag of raw almonds so I can make almond milk for our cereal.  Yum!

And here is another photo of little Liza.  This one was taken at Magnolia Plantation in Charleston on our trip down South a few weeks ago.

3 comments:

Martha said...

What a wonderful birthday surprise!!! ♥ We need to stock up on Larabars, they're so good and full of protein. Hannah, Olivia and I just read that link to homemade almond milk, it sounds wonderful! And Liza is so cute just sitting there...she looks so grown up sitting there by herself.

elizabeth said...

She is so cute! and SITTING already!! Martha told me of your blog! I love it!!! Will be adding it to my blog list! Miss you :)

Mary said...

Hehe... Two people reading my blog! Yay! :) I thought it might be a good discipline.

Homemade almond milk is great! It is best fresh since it separates and needs to be stirred or shaken if you keep it longer. I just use our regular (cheap) blender and it works great!